Follow the progress of construction (and sometimes destruction) of my N-scale model train layout.

January 13, 2008

Locomotive Maintenance

Last night I finished up maintenance on my Bachmann Southern GP-50. I took it apart and cleaned off all the old grease. I shimmed one of the worm gears that was loose. There were also a few bits of flash on the truck assembly that I snipped off. Then I lubricated the gears, axles and bearings and reassembled the locomotive.

It runs noticeably smoother then when I first got it and before I did the overhaul. Not as silky as some of the better Atlas and Kato engines, but still alright. One of the worm gears still makes a some noise, but most of the noise comes from the motor, which I don't think I can improve very much without a whole new motor.

Next on my list is my Atlas Southern MP-15 switcher. It has been running a little rough lately, hopefully this will smooth it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home