Follow the progress of construction (and sometimes destruction) of my N-scale model train layout.

January 13, 2008

New Track


Last weekend I made a modification to the track plan of my layout. I replaced the siding that splits into two tracks after crossing the X on the bottom left with a single siding. I also had it curve back parallel to the main instead of going into the center of the layout at an angle.

The main reason for doing this was to give me more room in the center of the layout. The upper siding came too close to the street (back) side of the of the freight depot on the top half of the loop. The empty "street" area between the buildings narrowed to a small triangle which didn't look right. It goes with the method of laying out the industries first and then bringing the rails to them instead of coming up with a neat looking plan and then figuring out how to place the industries on it which I read somewhere and makes good sense.

It also reduced the number of sidings on the bottom half of the layout. This brings it closer to the complexity of my "new" layout that I keep telling myself I will build when I move to a bigger apartment. If I can keep myself occupied with this switching arrangement then I don't have to worry about getting bored on the bigger layout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home