Follow the progress of construction (and sometimes destruction) of my N-scale model train layout.

October 9, 2007

Staging & New Building Arrangment

I was contemplating a trip to the store to get flex track and turnouts for my new staging yard, along with a trip to the lumber yard. Then I realized that I had enough spare parts and the platform from my old layout to work with; I could construct a staging yard with old parts.
It is laid out at a slight angle to the platform to match the approach of the interchange track from new layout that will connect to it. This does have the disadvantage of not being modular so if I ever build a third layout then it might take a little work to get it connected. But I will try to focus on finishing my current layout now. Maybe once I finish it and get bored I can sell it on Ebay to fund a new layout. But that probably won't be for a year or two.

I also re-arranged the buildings on my layout to give the appearance of a street down the center of the layout. The one tricky part is the area between the back of the freight depot and the siding on the other side of the layout. It is not wide enough to squeeze a building into without looking cramped. I also got around to gluing the freight depot back to the layout. I had to build it up with a few pieces of styrene on the bottom so that the freight deck matched the box car floor height.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home