Follow the progress of construction (and sometimes destruction) of my N-scale model train layout.

November 7, 2007

Engine House Foundation

I did some more work on the foundation of the engine house over the weekend. I secured it to the layout and started to do some scenery around it. The yellow maintenance walkway also got attached as well.

The four white angle brackets match up with the inside of the engine house walls and allow it to be placed accurately on the layout since the doors don't have a large amount of extra space for clearance.

The one (suspected) problem with it is that at some points the styrene sheet may be slightly higher than the rail head. When I was constructing this the height difference seems immaterial as long as it looked good; however now after running engines over it I realize how close the truck side frames are to the level of the rail head. If the styrene is higher then the rail head then the truck side frame could ride up on the styrene and lift the wheel off the rail, causing the engine to lose power. Or maybe my track is dirty. I tried cleaning it but I have also tried cleaning sections of the layout where I have stalling problems before and it does not always seem to solve the problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home