Follow the progress of construction (and sometimes destruction) of my N-scale model train layout.

December 28, 2006

More Couplers

Image of the engine bottom showing the painted blocks.
I did some work to replace the coupler on the high hood end. This was the coupler had previously been converted to a knuckle coupler but it was still mounted on the truck.

There were a few modifications from the short hood end (on the left in the photo). This time I took the approach of overlapping the block with the bulkhead. Unlike the short hood side, the long hood side had the first three strips of styrene placed behind the bulkhead. The additional sheets were lengthened slightly to overlap the bulkhead. I hope this will give me a much better surface for gluing the front guard in place.

I also painted the blocks with Polly Scale Engine Black. They look like part of the engine now.

The next step was to cut out the guards. You can see these with the first coat of paint below the engine in the photograph. They are 18 by 8 millimeters. There is a cut out for the coupler to protrude through as well as notches on both sides for the railings to fit into. I need to give these another coat of paint and they will be ready to fit on the engine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home