Follow the progress of construction (and sometimes destruction) of my N-scale model train layout.

April 22, 2011

Avoiding Sub-layout Hazards


I was working on the layout this morning and ran into a problem. I had planned to place a wire drop at the end of a long curve of flex track; however the flex track ended right above a cross beam in my layout. This meant I could not make a wire drop from that location that went straight down; it would hit the beam. For various reason I wanted to avoid altering the track setup or moving the location of the drop on the surface of the layout.

I realized that my wire drop didn't have to go straight down. If I went at a 45 degree angle I would be able to have the drop at the location I wanted on the surface of the layout and still have the wires miss the beam underneath.

I think this solution could also be applied for mounting Tortoise switch machines as well. A 45 degree wedge mounted on the bottom of the layout would be required to angle the machine. Adding a 45 degree bend to the music wire right before it enters the throwbar would probably be easier than trying to drill a 45 degree hole through the throwbar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home