Follow the progress of construction (and sometimes destruction) of my N-scale model train layout.

October 5, 2008

Roadbed: Almost Complete


With the arrival of my supplies early this week, I was able to get started on laying down the road bed. I got most of it done on Friday and Saturday. Sunday I finished it up and was able to spray paint the road bed with Rust-oleum Stone.

Overall I am happy with it. Now that the roadbed is a lighter color, the small gaps where I spliced the cork for turnouts really stand out. Unfortunately turnouts were the one area that the spray paint ballast will be the most visible. It would have been a good idea to fill those in with something before painting. This time I think I will just "pre-ballast" by filling up the holes with ballast and gluing it down before laying the track. That way I can still leave most of the turnout with only a light coat of ballast.

I also forgot to place the switch stand bases before I did the spray painting. I will have to go back and add them in. Hopefully there is enough paint left in the can to get those done since they are another area that I would like to avoid ballasting too heavily around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home