Follow the progress of construction (and sometimes destruction) of my N-scale model train layout.

February 27, 2007

Still working on the layout plan


Transferring the layout with paper went ok. I pinned the paper down to foam through the centerline of the track at key points. I then tore up the paper around the pins leaving the pins in the foam. I connected the points specified by the pins with a Sharpie, and that's how I got the layout on the foam.
I had some trouble with finding the center of the curves based on where I had pinned the paper. I think it will be easier next time to get the center from XTrkCad and then just plot that point directly on the layout.
Unfortunately in the time it took me to get the layout drawn out, it changed! I realized that my parallel tracks were slightly too far apart for the geometry of adjacent Atlas #4 turnsouts so XTrkCad had added minute pieces of flex track, less then 1/4 in., in between them. This would be too much of a pain to cut and place, so I corrected the spacing so that it matches the geometry of the turnouts closer and does not require spacers.
I also curved the yard slightly to eliminate some of the space that the top of the layout. This allowed me to broaden the curves to 10 in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home